Sometimes the best way to learn something is by letting other people do the dirty work, make mistakes, learn from them, and then publish their results so that you and I can reap the benefits.
This strategy works great when it comes down to split testing your site to increase your conversions and sales.
Last week, you had a chance to watch 3 great videos about me learning from my mistakes.
- Conversion Optimization: How to Make More Money with Less Traffic?
- How to Increase Website Conversion Rates with Derek Halpern
Here are 35 of my favorite resources, tools, and posts I constantly refer to as I tweak Traffic Generation Cafe to maximize the profit with the traffic I already have.
My Favorite Website Conversion / Split Testing Blogs
If a blog specializes on improving website conversion rates, it's logical to conclude that their blog design will reflect their findings.
So here's my narrow list of blogs I keep an eye on:
- VisualWebsiteOptimizer.com – yes, Visual Website Optimizer is a paid split testing service (which I'd only recommend if you know your way around CSS and HTML), but they also provide invaluable split testing results on their blog.
- SocialTriggers.com – even though Derek Halpern's blog is not directly about traffic conversion, almost every posts he writes will give you a golden nugget or two on how to get your readers to take action – whatever it might be.
- ConversionVoodoo.com – my new absolutely favorite conversion blog. I can spend hours sifting through their blog posts for ideas…
- SparringMind.com – Greg Ciotti writes about actionable & practicable strategies that are backed with actual evidence.
- ConversionXL.com – another awesome read on improving conversions; authored by Peep Laja and recommended to me by one of the readers, Leon.
My Favorite Website Conversion Posts
There's a wealth of information in these posts: ideas, guidelines, tutorials – you name it.
Of course, you should always remember to test these ideas on your own blog.
What works for one niche, site, audience might not work for another.
- 101 Ways to Make More Sales Online – CopyBlogger.com
- 101 Landing Page Optimization Tips – Unbounce.com
- The Ultimate Guide To A/B Testing – – SmashingMagazine.com
- Call to Action Buttons: Examples and Best Practices – SmashingMagazine.com
- An Extensive Guide To Web Form Usability – SmashingMagazine.com
- The Ultimate Guide to Increasing Blog Conversion Rates – SocialTriggers.com
- The #1 Conversion Killer In Your Web Design (Are You At Risk?) – SocialTriggers.com
- The 7 High-Converting Places to Add Email Sign-Up Forms to Build Your List – SocialTriggers.com
- Opt-in Email Newsletter Popup Best Practices for 2012 – ConversionVoodoo.com
- How to Apply Social Media Optimization to Your Blog in 33 Steps – SearchEngineWatch.com
- 5 Easy Things You Can Do to Improve Website Conversions Right Now – SearchEngineLand.com
- 3 Low Hanging A/B Testing Opportunities To Increase Conversion Rate – SearchEngineLand.com
- 5 email marketing best practices to double your response rates and profits – VisualWebsiteOptimizer.com
- Blue link vs. Red link vs. Banner: which one got 50% more clicks? – VisualWebsiteOptimizer.com
- Do human photos on a landing page increase sales and conversions? – VisualWebsiteOptimizer.com
- How to Double Your Subscriber Growth With 10 Minutes Work – ViperChill.com
- Blue-Shirt Trust: How to Increase Conversions on Everything – BlogTyrant.com
- The Blueprint For Beautiful Blogs That Convert – SparringMind.com
- 9 Clever Ways To Kickstart Stagnant Email Conversion Rates, Without Annoying Your Readers – SparringMind.com
- F-Shaped Pattern For Reading Web Content – Useit.com (Jakob Nielsen)
- Eyetracking points the way to effective news article design – Ojr.com
I have to show you this image from the post above; surprising?
Split Testing Case Studies
There are some sites that specialize in publishing case studies for various split tests.
I found a lot of ideas for Traffic Generation Cafe by perusing split tests done on other sites.
Split Testing Tools & Resources
1. Google Website Optimizer
Here's a great guide on how to use it:
- Free Google Website Optimizer Guide – KISSMetrics.com
2. Visual Website Optimizer
Visual Website Optimizer is a premium A/B split testing tool with a point-and-click test designer and WYSIWYG editor for creating variations.
If you want some serious split testing done on your site, this is definitely the tool to use.
3. WordPress Plugins
Yes, there are split testing plugins as well.
A/B Test for WordPress is a free plugin that makes it easy to set up and perform A/B split testing on any WordPress site.
A very simple and effective plugin to run A/B split test – the very one I am currently using to split test my How to Increase Website Traffic One Perfect Bite at a Time optin page.
Split Testing Marketing Takeaway
I know, there's a lot to digest.
One tweak a week?